Sunday, May 15, 2011

Maverik

Sometimes you don’t have time to sit for a while and enjoy a good hot dog. This week Alan and I were both pretty busy, so we decided to check out the hot dogs at Maverik. Maverik is a convenience store mainly found in the western United States.

We knew we wanted to visit a gas station at some point. Pretty much any gas station that has a convenience store will sell you a hot dog, but around here Maverik dogs have somewhat of a reputation. Granted, our peers are broke college students. When they rave about a place to eat, that often means it’s really cheap and acceptably decent.

Maverik’s claim to fame is their Bahama Mama. We decided to try one of those along with one of their regular hot dogs...which I later discovered was a Jalapeno Bahama Mama that had been put in the wrong spot.

The condiment bar was quite impressive. I expected little more than some ketchup and mustard packets, but Maverik goes all out. Alan topped the Bahama Mama with onions, kraut and Maverik’s Hot Dog Sauce (a tasty concoction that we couldn’t decide what was made of) and I topped mine with chili sauce, banana peppers, and the Hot Dog Sauce. Definitely a plus to be able to make your hot dog however you want.

It was really nice outside, so we drove to a local park to enjoy our hot dogs. I took a bite of my dog, expecting a normal hot dog. I quickly realized that it was stuffed with jalapeno seeds, and figured it must be a Jalapeno Bahama Mama. Although it’s not what I was expecting, I enjoyed the heat.

The Bahama Mama was somewhat similar. Both dogs were pretty smoky and tasted more like brats than hot dogs. The meat was quite dense, and a little chewy. We realized though that we didn’t go at the best time of day. At 7 pm, the dogs had been sitting there cooking for a very long time. I give them the benefit of the doubt in that they’re much better earlier in the day. 
 
Bahama Mama
Jalapeno Bahama Mama

We also picked up a bag of Maverik’s salt and pepper chips, and they were surprisingly really good. They were honestly probably my favorite part of our meal. As Alan said, “They ain’t your Grandma’s potato chips.”

We visited the Maverik at 307 S. State Street in Provo, but there are other locations all around the valley. If you’re on the go, Maverik’s is a pretty good option for a hot dog. Probably don’t stop by too late in the day, and make sure to grab a bag of chips.

7 comments:

  1. I used to stop in a Maverik in Blackfoot Idaho for a hot dog after work back in 1986 (a quarter century ago!!). They were good cheap food for a poor college student. No condiment bar though, they've definitely gone upscale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss. Brown,

    Although I'm not the biggest hot dog fan, I appreciated your writing, like always. I was, however, impressed with you condiment choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love bahama mamas, especially jalapeno bahama mama. thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want Bahama mamas delivered to my house...forever. No matter how crappy the jobs go, a jalapeno cheddar and a Reed's gingerale is where it's at. Maybe a tall Rolling Rock on an especially lousy day

    ReplyDelete